Outsourcing data capture saves a company time and money by using state-of-the-art scanning technology and document capture hardware to largely automate the process. However, the advantage of outsourcing your data capture needs with a reliable company involves a human touch as well, utilizing a key-from-image (KFI) process to ensure that the information on the documents is stored accurately.
The KFI process takes place after scanning and document identification, when documents are routed to sophisticated optical character recognition (OCR) and intelligent character recognition (ICR) software that automatically extracts important data. Once that data is extracted, the KFI process is used for correction and verification, in addition for the processing of non-standard documents for which OCR capture is not effective. Here’s what the KFI process consists of:
- The document is routed to a data capture entry operator.
- The operator enters data based on a set of pre-defined business rules.
- The document is then routed to a verification operator (if applicable) or a rules engine application.
- A verification operator enters data according to client rules on document fields that are identified as critical.
- A pre-defined amount of work is routed to a quality control analyst for review
- The data is then output, mapped and sent back to the client, based on pre-defined specifications.
- A pre-defined amount of work is routed to a quality control analyst for a post-output audit.
Outsourcing data capture to a company utilizing an automated process is a key way of streamlining your own operation and allowing your staff to focus on core competencies. But to ensure that your valuable data is stored accurately, be sure to choose a company with an effective KFI process in place. The difference – in efficiency, profitability and accuracy – will be evident in the result.